Historical Information about Jose Rizal visit to Dumaguete

Dumaguete City has a scenic garden park where there are many historical landmarks. Right in the middle of Manuel Quezon Park stands the statue of Dr. Jose Rizal, (full name: José Protasio Rizal Mercado y Alonso Realonda) our national hero, whose birthday was quietly celebrated on June 19, Friday this week. The statue of Rizal faces the east while the statue of Maria Clara faces west with a short Spanish poem inscribed in a bronze plaque at the base of the statue. Who is Maria Clara? I remembered her from Rizal’s novel Noli Mi Tangere as Maria Clara de los Santos, Ibarra’s sweetheart and Rizal idealized her as the Filipina of his time, perhaps partly drawn from the image of his great love, Leonor Rivera. It is interesting to see the two statues standing opposite each other on one base, one of our national hero, the other one a fictional character of the Filipina of his time lifted from his novel Noli Mi Tangere. I wonder what the original designer had in mind when that landmark was made. At the base of the landmark there is a bronze plaque with the Mi Ultimo Adios in Spanish, English and Visayan version. I am fascinated with the Visayan version as it is not as well read as the Spanish version. I guess I am partial to the Spanish version as it is more lyrical and conveyed the original thoughts of Rizal. On the other side of the base, there is a bronze plaque with the diary of Dr. Jose Rizal about his stop over in Dumaguete from Dapitan on his way to his exile in Barcelona, also inscribed in Spanish, English and Visayan version. I have heard of the short visit of Rizal in Dumaguete I think many of the readers will find Rizal’s personal account of his short stay interesting: “At midnight of the 31st July (Friday) we left Dapitan. I have been in that district four years, thirteen days, and a few hours. The C.P.M. (Politico-Military Commander) also came with me. DUMAGUETE The following day, Saturday, at dawn, we anchored at Dumaguete, capital of Oriental Negros. The steamer anchors quite near the shore because of the great depth of the water. Dumaguete spreads out on the beach. There are big houses, some with galvanized iron roofing. The house of a lady, whose name I have forgotten, was outstanding. It is occupied by the government and another one, just begun with many ipil posts. I went ashore with my family and the C.P.M. I told my family to see the town while the C.P.M. and I paid our respects to Governor Regal whom I met at Dapitan on the way to his destination. From there we went to see the Captain of the Civil Guard, Mr. Herrero Regidor, judge of the province, who was suffering from ophtalmia which turned out to be conjunctivitis granulosa [Trachoma, which is also called granular conjunctivitis or Egyptian ophthalmia, is a contagious, chronic inflammation of the mucous membranes of the eyes, caused by Chlamydia trachomatis. It is characterized by swelling of the eyelids, sensitivity to light, and eventual scarring of the conjunctivae and corneas of the eyes. - rly]. I met Mr. P., the permanent physician at his house, from whom I learned about many cases and things concerning provincial etiquette. It turned out that while I was going to visit my friend and former classmate Mr. Herrero Regidor, the provincial judge, the operation was set for that afternoon. In fact, I went to visit this gentleman who received me very affectionately, inviting me and my family to spend the day with him. I saw Periquet Family meet in Spain and I also spend the day with the Family of Don Mariano Pinili Farm House in Taclobo a business partner when he was exile in Dapitan . In the house of Mrs. Rufina Ybanez, a beautiful house, where after four years, I heard the piano expertly played. I observed that the people of Dumaguete are fond of decorating their houses with plants and flowers. In the afternoon I operated on the Captain of the Civil Guard and then we embarked. Dapitan, 14 March 1895 Rizal Letter to Mariano Pinili Mr. Mariano Pinili My dear Sir, I received your letter and I have the pleasure to inform you that I have already sent money to America about two months ago for the machine that you want. As that country is far, I expect that the machine will be here within two months. Without anything more, command your attentive servant who kisses your hand. José Rizal Source : Ayala Foundation Filipino Library

Comments